Brussel sprouts are small leafy green buds resembling miniature cabbages in appearance. They are exceptionally rich in protein, dietary fiber, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Studies show that the phytochemicals found in brussel sprouts offers protection from prostate, colon, prostate and endometrial cancers.
Try a different twist on brussel sprouts with this light, delicious salad.
- 1 TBS water
- 1 1/2 lbs Brussels sprouts, washed, trimmed and thinly sliced.
- salt to taste (optional)
- 1 apple, cored and cubed
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans or almonds, pan toasted
- lemon juice – to taste
- handful of dried cranberries (or pomegranate seeds)
- freshly ground black pepper
- red pepper flakes (optional)
1. Heat the water in a large sauté pan over medium heat.
2. Add the shredded Brussels sprouts and salt, and sauté for 4-5 minutes.
*If you like a little spice, add red pepper flakes.
3. Add the apple, garlic, and lemon juice and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.
4. Add the nuts, cranberries and pepper, toss and serve.
Eat Healthy and Thrive